This is a great soup to make during the winter with either Collard Greens or Kale. Use a high quality, applewood smoked bacon to give the soup a nice smoky flavor. If you don’t have leeks, onions are a fine substitution (I often use both).
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 big leeks, chopped (or onions)
- 2 gloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots
- 1lb thin skinned potatoes (Yukon Gold), chopped into 3/4″ sized chunks.
- 1 bunch Kale or Collard Greens, destemmed and choped into 1-2″ sized pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 slices Applewood Smoked Bacon
- Salt and Pepper
Add the olive oil to a dutch oven or heavy soup pan over medium heat, and add the chopped leeks (or onions) and garlic. Sautee for 5 minutes.
In the meantime, cook the bacon in a separate pan and remove just before it browns. Slice into small, bite sized pieces.
When the leeks have softened, add the carrots and kale, sautee for a few minutes until coated with olive oil, and then add the chicken broth, potatoes and bacon.
Add some salt, thyme, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes until the greens and potatoes are soft.
Salt and Pepper to taste.